Monday, October 5, 2009

Monday, October 5

I cannot imagine a more perfect day. After replacing my lost camera bag and media cards, we set off down HWY 30 to I-81. We took a detour to Antietam and enjoyed the bright sunny day walking around the battlefield. We walked to the Dunker Church, looked at the exhibits at the visitor center, and listened to a lecture on the medical care for the battle. Then we drove a few miles for an excellent meal at the Red Byrd. Then back to 81. We took the exit to I-66, and Front Royal because we were told the Skyline Drive through the Shenandoah Valley was spectacular. The ride was incredible, and was along a breathetaking ridge at 2000+ feet. We could see forever. Unfortunately, I was pretty uncomfortable with my fear of heights, but as Chuck phrased it, “ I made the trip with a few fingernails left.” Since the entire National Park trip takes about 5 hours at the speed limit of 35 mph, we left the park at Thorton's Gap. HWY 231 was a lovely, rolling shortcut to Highway 29 to Charlottesville. We are relaxing in our jammies after some Mexican food and a huge marguerita that we shared.

How romantic.

No comments: