Thursday, August 20, 2009

Julie and Julia



My fourth of July dessert
and Chuck with Will's
Eggs Benedict










Today I saw a great movie, Julie and Julia. The film resonates with me on so many levels.

First, the contemporary Julie decides to find herself through exploring Julia Child's Mastering French Cooking. By blogging she would "find" herself-----establish an identity. All of us have had those moments on the porch. Midnight. Sitting there with a half-empty bottle of wine, wondering who we are becoming. And why. Julie had skills and compassion and an incredible sense of humor.

Julie and Julia both loved to cook and found relaxation and creativity in the kitchen. However, time I spend in the kitchen is time I can't spend reading or writing. There are many family jokes about my cooking. My son's favorite is the meal I served of garden red potatoes, pork chops, and salad. My son Will took his fork and tried to stab a potato. The potato clinked around the plate instead. He tried again. "Mom, this potato is hard as a rock!" It was a rock. I had scrubbed, boiled, plated, and served a smooth red rock.

So I have covered my kitchen laziness and lack of expertise by saying, "Whereas some are gourmet cooks, I put dinner on the table." But I was still feeling very inadequate. My son, realizing his father, grandfather, and all the men in his life were good cooks became a Foodie, a fantastic cook. Inspired by these people, I have begun to collect recipes, read directions, use measuring spoons and cups, and prepare healthy, tasty, attractive meals. Once in awhile.

My grandmother was an incredible cook who never measured and seldom used a recipe. I watched her make brioche in her big country kitchen. No recipe. No measuring devices. Anna would scoop the flour with her hands and use a huge bowl and a large spoon to beat the batter. No $300 Kitchen Aid for her. Her rhythmic kneading was beautiful to watch. The payoff was picture perfect mouth-watering rolls.

Watching the film I saw how cooking can be a passion. It provided a little window into the soul of cooks like my son Will who invest a lot of money for the freshest Whole Food fruits and vegetables so they will have optimum flavor. My daughters Tami, Marla, Aletha, and Will may outcook me, but no one enjoys good food more. Except Julie and Julia. Historically speaking.

No comments: