Tuesday, March 30, 2010

You Can Go Home Again. Iowa. March 23, 2010


But it will be different.

I haven't been back to Iowa since 2007, so naturally I expected some change. For one thing I had heard stories about a big developer who changed Storm Lake's shoreline by taking out an older, unprofitable restaurant, and replacing it with a hotel, waterpark, and some other frills. I expected to hate it, but it is actually less obtrusive than I had thought. The development includes some nice landscaping and park areas. The whole area looks modern and more economically healthy than before. Although there were a few closures, their business district looked healthy. I think the Midwest is making an economic comeback before the West coast.



Family

When I moved to the West Coast I left my immediate family behind. There is a great loss when family is unavailable for Christmas, Easter, birthdays and celebrations. I believe these are the essence of life and it is sad that I have had to give these up. Every holiday I feel this loss. So traveling with dad back to our home territory puts me on home ground, despite the fact the homes I lived in in Storm Lake are housing strangers, despite the fact my family's home base is Sac City instead of Storm Lake, it is still home. In the picture on the left above, Mike and Carol cook dinner.
Family is not territory. It is being welcomed and loved despite who you are and what you have become.

1 comment:

Traci said...

I have to agree with you on that. I may be living on the East coast, but I will always be a West Coast girl. Holidays are always a little hard though, but we are making our own new traditions.