Saturday, April 3, 2010

My Brother, The Bowling Alley Cook
















My sister-in-law Carol's son Chris and Nancy moved back to Sac City and purchased the town's (population 3,500) only bowling alley. When my brother retired, he agreed to work there in what I now call, "the family business." Chris and Nancy are an impressive couple in their 20's with a very professional approach to their business. So Mike's role has been to cook and serve up the yummy beef tenderloin sandwiches, the huge burgers and sloppy Joes, and what serves as a great all purpose bar and grill. Surely he didn't imagine this job when he was thinking of retirement. He's an outdoors kind of guy. But part time jobs are hard to find these days and he is enjoying it.

His cooking doesn't stop at the bowling alley. He fires up his smoker and prepares meals like French onion soup with smoked onions, incredible smoked ham, and other dishes. He subscribes to Food and Wine and other cooking magazines. I have to say, I really enjoyed the fruits of his hobby.

No comments: