Sunday, April 11, 2010

Tallahassee

For Chuck it is possible to have a great reunion with a college roommate. That has brought us to Tallahassee, Florida, and a warmer climate this time of year than Oregon. It has been a pleasure to see the great joy and comradeship the two of them have as they share their musical experiences. A record comes out, we all listen to the bassoon or the oratorio. Great times. I have never had the experience of having a college roommate. My first roommate was Nancy Harvey, a fellow new teacher in Racine, WI. I can't remember how we were put together, but we ended up renting a small two bedroom apartment for our first years with the Racine school system. She taught me how much work it was to be an elementary school teacher--a very valuable lesson for later in life when I would negotiate benefits for a group with whom I had never been a fellow member. She has taught me how valuable these friendships are, so coming to Florida to see Waldie and Carolyn was a must.

Last night Chuck and Waldie went to an outdoor "Pops" concert of Florida State University. Waldie's wife, Carolyn Bridger was playing the electric piano on numbers that were all about moonlight and the stars. I stayed home because I discovered the high pollen count in Florida and Georgia this time of year is a big allergy experience for me. I haven't had allergies like this since I was in high school. However, this time I have asthma, so it is that much worse. By last night, I just wanted to sulk on the couch and blow my nose all by myself.

A highlight of the trip was our Sunday trip to Wakulla Springs for a river cruise and then an elegant dinner. I couldn't believe a swimming hole just feet away from where the alligators bask in the sun. Wouldn't get me dipping a toe in that water. We saw huge turtles and alligators sharing the same log, egrets and other local birds, It was a beautiful cruise, followed by a dinner at Angelo and Son's in Panacea, Florida, on the mouth of the Chatahoochie River and the Gulf. This is a restaurant that had to rebuild after it was destroyed by Hurricane Dennis in 2005. So we visited the rebuilt, remodeled version that was a very beautiful restaurant. We had grouper stuffed with shrimp and scallops and various seafood, with salad and hush puppies. One of my very best meals.

Tomorrow it is off to St. Petersburg.

No comments: