Friday, August 6, 2010

Me Bad

The first Sunday of August is traditionally our family reunion day. It is a great time connecting to family and enjoying a picnic. Before I was diagnosed with diabetes, it was always a delightful meal of potato or pasta salad with delicious grilled turkey dogs. This year we tried to do without those delicacies, but at my request, Chuck's daughter Tami brought Lay's baked potato chips.

I love potato chips. The only time I eat them is at the family reunion. I haven't bought a bag in years. For the first time I read the label. One serving was nine chips. So, I laid out nine chips and thought I was strong enough to stop there. I ate eleven and a half. If the temptation is there, I will probably give in to it.

One of my good friends allows herself some chocolate sometimes. After 3 months of successful dieting and eating, I bought a bag of candy and tried having a piece now and then. That is definitely not my nature. If it is in the house, I will eat it. I have learned that if I have a dish that is left over and on my NO list, I will eat it. So I need to give it away before it enters the house.

A crisis situation provides a window into the true mettle of a person. My failure to control impulses could be a stumbling block to my desire to be healthy despite diabetes. Obviously I must trick myself--never bringing temptation into the house is my first line of defense.

No comments: