Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Spice of Life

There are many people who can eat oatmeal day after day, or read book after book by the same author, or walk the same neighborhood day after day. I am not one of them. Variety and surprise are my friends. I love to try new dishes when I cook, so thank God there are endless ways to cook quinoa. My son laughs at me because I often vary a recipe before I have even cooked it once.

So the monthly haircut has been a real bore lately. My beautician, Cheri Workman, is a genius with hair, so many times in our ten or twelve year relationship I have had her surprise me with something new and different. Back when I taught eighth grade, (been awhile, okay), she once shaved a lightning bolt on the back of my head. A fond memory. It was great time. Lately though, we have caved into my hair's personality. You know--its curliness, cowlicks, thick spots, thin spots. Today we played around with my hair. Using machines, straightening irons, product, we achieved the impossible! This naturally curly haired person has straight hair. Spiky straight hair.

I wore it to a church meeting tonight and gained lots of laughs. My husband Chuck was shocked and startled. I put the picture on Facebook and received a record number of comments--all favorable except for the friend who compared me to a dog with a spiky cut. Whatever the reactions, I have enjoyed having variety and humor in my life.

No comments: